Saturday, July 31, 2010

Walking!!

Our little boy took his first steps today. We had just changed him (which is most definitely a two-person job these days), and I set him down in the middle of the nursery, in front of the mirror. He just stood there for a few moments, and then BAM! Took a step forward, toward his image in the mirror, with a big smile on his face. My sister-in-law was visiting, and she and I saw it happen, but unfortunately my husband was in the bathroom washing his hands. That was it - just a single step, and then he slowly bent to his knees, like "Okay, show's over. The 6pm is just like the 3:15."

A few hours later, after a fun-filled trip to the park with Auntie (during which I stayed home to do a blitzkrieg cleaning spree on our apartment) and a nice long nap (for the baby, not me - ah, how I wish...), I was puttering in the kitchen when my husband called my name from the living room. By his hushed, urgent tone I knew just what was happening - sure enough, I walked in to find the Roo standing in the living room, facing the window, and I watched him take another little step. Evidently that was the second step he'd taken, according to my husband, who was watching from the couch. A few minutes later, another small step in the kitchen.

As of tomorrow the Little Roo will be eleven months old. For the past several weeks, he has been standing unsupported for slowly increasing amounts of time, but today was the first time that he actually propelled himself forward. Each time he had this glorious look of concentration and accomplishment on his little face, and even if he had been receiving his Harvard diploma we couldn't have been prouder.

Who knows - he could not take another step for months. But for now - he did it! We are on the road to toddlerhood!

4 comments:

Sara said...

Woohoooo! Go Carter!

janetlansbury said...

Very EXCITING. Congratulations!

Erica said...

Wow!!! Amazing!!!

Natalie J said...

Your boy is a quick learner! Congrats little Carter. :)