Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Snackity Snack

Carter finally got the hang of finger foods last weekend. I had started chopping up an assortment of steamed or soft-cooked foods (broccoli, cauliflower, carrot, pasta, tofu, etc.) and laying 'em in front of him at each meal in hopes that he would start trying to feed himself instead of just picking it up, squishing it in his palm and dropping it on the floor.

On Saturday, I had a little stash of snacks laid out for him on the tray of his highchair, but I didn't harbor high hopes that any of them would actually make it to his mouth. So when he nonchalantly picked up a cube of - god, I have no idea what it was now - Cheese? Pasta? - and popped it into his mouth, I nearly screamed in excitement. The next day, more of the same - I met a girlfriend for coffee and brought along a variety of finger food snacks for The RooRoo, in hopes that squishing them would keep him somewhat entertained so that Mommy could have five minutes to talk to her friend without interjecting every other sentence with baby talk. I dumped some out on my palm and sat him in my lap, and off he went - picking them up and shoveling them in his mouth like he'd been doing it all his life. Mind you, a good portion still ends up on his bib, in his lap, or all over the ground, but he's FEEDING HIMSELF! Yeehah!

No comments: