Friday, March 26, 2010

The fact that it has been over two weeks since I've posted, while not unusual, reflects how insane life has been recently. These days I often marvel that every moment in the day is packed with activity, from my alarm in the morning til I pass out in a stupor of exhaustion at night. I had always heard women say "there just aren't enough hours in the day!" and thought Pssssshaw. That's ridiculous. There are plenty of hours in the damn day!

But now, my friends, now I GET IT.

We had a lovely visit from Grandma a few weeks ago - my mom stayed with us for a few days so I kept Carter home from school (yes, we call it school) to bond with Granny (I don't actually call her that, but the notion of 'Granny' conjures a vision of an ancient, withered, toothless old hag, and that really amuses me, since my mother is the furthest thing from this). I definitely had to put the mommy smackdown on my mother a couple of times during her stay - for instance, when I would call her and discover that Carter hadn't slept in three hours. "He's not tired! I tried to put him in his crib, but he cried!" Me: "Yes, I told you that he has to fuss a little before he falls asleep. How long was he in his crib??" "Oh, a long time - three minutes!!" THREE minutes??
Or the time I called and she told me he hadn't had his second bottle, because he didn't "seem hungry" even though he hadn''t eaten in three hours. I insisted she give it to him, at which point he ravenously gobbled it up.

Mind you, I am not complaining. My mother is wonderful and I loved having her here. I just find it amusing that a woman can raise three kids and then be totally at a loss when it comes time to be Grandma. How quickly we forget...

More updates to come...there is simply to much to say to be able to get it all down in one post.


1 comment:

Erica said...

There aren't enough hours in the day! True!!!